About the Artists
Ben Barson and Gizelxanath Rodriguez co-founded the Afro Yaqui Music Collective, an ensemble that combines Afro-Asian musical and political affinities with inspiration from the struggles of the Yaqui of northern Mexico. They work to incorporate voices of regional and Indigenous communities in the creation of their boundary-pushing interdisciplinary works.
- Read a Welcome Message for “Contested Homes: Migrant Liberation Movement Suite” by John Paul Patrick.
- Watch the full performance from the February 2020 Tandem Press Jazz Series, featuring Contemporary Jazz Ensemble featuring special guests Ben Barson and Gizelxanath Rodriguez of the Afro Yaqui Music Collective (directed by Johannes Wallmann).
Barson and Rodriguez will guide and inspire students to participate in the construction of a new performance module of the recent jazz opera, Mirror Butterfly: The Migrant Liberation Movement Suite. Students will experience how dialogic art can be life-altering, in its communal generation and re-creation.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Read “A new multimedia work ties together themes of extraction, ancestry, and resistance,” courtesy of Tone Madison.
- Watch the highlights video from the spring 2020 Interdisciplinary Arts Residency with Ben Barson and Gizelxanath Rodriguez!
- Listen to “La Lucha Yaqui: A Conversation with Mario Luna Romero,” courtesy of Edge Effects.